Sunday, February 23, 2014

The new veggie and herb garden

I had a great day for planting yesterday the box on the right has tomatoes on the back row, bellpeppers on the row in front of the tomatoes, and the rest of the right box is sweet onions. I had never attempted to plant onions before and really didn't know how, but I got two bundles of onions anyway not knowing you had to seperate every single onion and plant it. The sweet onions in the right box is only one of the bundles I had bought. The box on the left is the herb box. The herb box has pineapple sage in the back row, cinnamon basil on the row in front of that along with lemon thyme,oregano, there's a  one Rosemary in the corner a sweet basil and some squash right in front. I still have some herbs that I wasn't able to plant today, I didn't have anymore room. Tomorrow I will build a few more boxes and get a few more bags of compost. I may actually end up with about two boxes for herbs. I will also be building a box just for watermelon, one for corn which is going to be huge, one for potatoes,and a small one just for the rest of those onions I bought. I like putting all of my veggies and herbs in boxes because it's easier for me to plant. The ground at the farm is pretty hard and most of it is clay. Being we don't have a tractor and only a hand tiller, right now it's my best option. As I get the next boxes built and more things planted I will post pictures and let all of my wonderful readers know what I've planted. I know I seem to have a ton of tomato plants and onions right now and not much else and still I know I will need way more of everything in order to get the amount of crops I'm hopeing for. 

1 comment:

  1. Our lot was a worn-out cotton before it turned into a subdivision. We tilled 48 bags of leaves into it the fall after we moved the first of August. For several years afterward we continued the process. Now the soil is still slightly better but still requires a lot of compost. We trench-compost all the organic material that comes into our house and mulch every year with ground up leaves. Still having a fight to get decent soil.

    ReplyDelete