Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The gardens are coming along

I've actually gotten all four boxes for this section built and planted. The third box pictured here is mostly herbs of various kinds including rosemary,lavender,chocolate mint,and cilantro. In the fourth box in this set which is not pictured yet( forgot to take a pic yesterday) I've planted all of skylar's strawberries. A few of the strawberry plants already had berries started. I have even managed to plant the second bundle of onions.
Being that the temps will be in the thirties tonight and again tomorrow night I will be covering the strawberries later today to protect the plant and the berries from the cold. Strawberries, which are cold hardy, can withstand temps as low as 22 degrees when dormant. However, when the strawberry plants have new leaves,buds, and even berries anything around the low 30's can set the plant back into a dormant state causing the loss of the berries or even the entire plant. 
I have also started on my second 4 set of raised beds. Meaning I built the box and threw in two bags of compost. I seem to need more veggies for the garden so in these next 4 boxes I will plant broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, more squash, more bellpeppers, and perhaps maybe even some garlic. I'm saving my seed crops for last and each seed crop will have its own box. The seed crops so far include corn, white potatoes, and water melon so far. 

No comments:

Post a Comment