Friday, February 14, 2014

Adopt a pet from a Shelter

 
This is my happy Jack. Jack was a rescue of sorts even though I didn't adopt him from a shelter.
 
JACK'S STORY
 
I was working as a receptionist at a local veterinarian's office right after Hurricane Katrina.
It was around Thanksgiving and about early afternoon when this man came into the clinic holding two small, slightly dirty puppies. The man Looked frantic and about at his wits end. He placed both of the puppies, one male and one female, on the counter in front of me and the other receptionist and told us that we had to take these puppies. He said he had found the puppies on the side of Airline highway near Reserve, La and that there had been a third puppy but that the puppy had been hit by another vehicle and died. We told the man that we could not take the puppies until they were adopted because we didn't have any room in the clinic for them. He said that he had tried every vet in town  to see if they could take them each one turning him down. He repeated again that we had to take the puppies because he didn't want to see them go to the pound and that he would rather pay to have them put down at our clinic then to send them to the pound. So since I personally couldn't let him do that I made a call to my landlord at the time to ask if I could have a puppy, which he agreed too given the situation and a hundred dollar increase on my rent. The other puppy was to be spared as well. A lady who was in the clinic at the time heard what was going on, and even though she was bringing her dog in for a check up decided to take one of the puppies home. The lady had asked me which one I wanted and I told her she could have first pick , even though I wanted the male. While the two puppies were on the counter during all of this, the female had crouched down and snuggled up to her brother who was standing tall and proud. The lady had fallen in love with the much fluffier female puppy and decided that was the one she wanted and I gratefully took the male. I didn't know what kind of dog Jack was, we knew his age, but that was all anyone could tell me. Most of the vets thought he was a German Shepard mix of some sort. I later found out that He is an American Dingo. Always joked saying he looked like a dingo you would see on nature shows, didn't know I was that close to being right. Jack is still here with us he will be 9 years old this September and has been a huge part of the family. He grew up with the two cats I already had and needless to say my female cat,Pogo, was not at all happy about having a dog in the house. She even had gone as far as to take every single dollar bill out of my purse one day and stack it neatly on the kitchen table, look at me, meowed, and jumped off the table as if to say "I will pay you to get rid of the dog." Her brother, scooter, had become Jack's best friend and they played together every chance they got. While Jack and my cats had been separated for a few years now due to trying to get situated in one place, and my sweet pogo has passed on, and scooter still living at my mom's until next month, Jack never forgot growing up with them in the house and has always been gentle to cats. He even has a new cat friend, Mini Monster, who follows him around, attacks him, jumps on his back when she can, and meows constantly if jack's bowl is empty. They play together all the time and Jack's been known to give Mini so many kisses on her head that her whole head is soaked, but she loves it.
So please if you want to get a pet, adopt one from a local shelter and give them a good loving Forever Home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment