Wednesday, February 5, 2014

My coveted apple butter recipe


I have recently gotten a couple of requests for this recipe.... You know who you are ;) Before I tell you how to make this great recipe, I have to first tell you the secret ingredient ........ Ok you caught me I use fresh apples:) yeah I know I'm a born and bred smart ass;) it's part of my southern charm. So here we go.

Ingredients:

6 pounds of apples (I use red apples, but any apples will do)

1 cup of water

1/4 cup of lemon juice ( off the tree Is better but bottled lemon juice works fine)

3 cups granulated sugar (you know the white crystal sugar)

3 cups light brown sugar ( any brown sugar is fine)

1/2 -1 cup of sparkling apple cider.

1 teaspoon cinnamon ( or a pinch or two more)

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

1/4 treaspoon salt

1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:

Peel, core, and slice apples into lemon water (water with some lemon squeezed in) until all the apples are prepared. 

Drain the apples and cook the apples in 1 cup of water, in a heavy, covered sauce pan (I use a spaghetti pot ), for 10 to 15 minutes. When the apples are soft, process until smooth or grind in a food mill. 

Put purée in a heavy pan( spaghetti pot) and add lemon juice, granulated and brown sugar, sparkling cider, all the spices, salt, and vanilla. 
Stir well to blend and heat to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugars. Turn heat to low and continue to cook until very thick and spreadable. 
Stir occasionally so the butter doesn't burn on the bottom or sides.

To test if the butter is done, put a spoonful on a plate and make sure there is no liquid around the edges. 

When done, laddle into clean hot jars, clean rims, and seal. Process in water bath canner for 10 minutes. 

This recipe makes 4 pints and 1 half pint. 

 As a side note to this recipe, plan to spend the better part of a day preparing, making, and canning apple butter. I usually make my apple butter on either a Saturday or a very lazy Sunday. 

2 comments:

  1. Yay, the secret is out! This will definitely be going in our family cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bridget I will be whipping up some apple butter this weekend, along with some apple juice :) I'll save you a jar ;)

      Delete