Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Homemade butter



I've been having fun learning how to be a little more self sufficient. With that said, I think I need way more money (lol). I finally have the support, freedom, and the determination to just go with it and give it my all. 

So tonight I've learned how to make my own butter, and I made Skylar help. This has got to be the easiest recipe I've ever tried. 

Things needed:

Heavy whipping cream (or you can use regular whipping cream)

Salt

1 or more mason jars with lids depending on how much you plan to make.

Strainer or colander 

Directions:

First Fill mason jar 1/2 to 3/4 full of whipping cream. Put lid on and screw ring on firmly. Next Shake jar until the liquid sounds like it's becoming solid. 
Once you have more solid than liquid empty the contents of the jar into the colander allowing the liquid to drain out. Then place the solid butter into a bowl adding a little salt at a time and stir the salt into the butter. Once you've gotten the butter salted place into a butter mold,covered container, or butter dish and refrigerate.  The butter will become firmer in the refrigerator.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I love making my own butter! I don't want to come across as a know-it-all, but I thought I'd share how I make butter. I started out like you, with a mason jar, but graduated to an electric mixer. Seriously, it's so much quicker, and it really separates the butter from the buttermilk well. It goes from cream to kind of thick cream and then BAM, milk with chunks of bright yellow butter in it! I mix it a little more after that, strain off the buttermilk, and mix in the salt. Takes about 5 minutes if the cream is cold, sometimes as little as 3 if it's room temperature. Have fun! Once I started making my own butter it's all my family wants to eat...no more store bought for us :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the tips Alissa, I'll have to try it out next time I make butter. All comments and tips are always welcome here on my blog.

      Delete