Friday, March 7, 2014

A simpler life

Hey guys and gals, 
I know I've been away from the blog for about a week or so now. I can't say that I've been real busy, more like preoccupied. 

My veggie boxes are done for now, well at least until we get a little warmer weather here to stay. I have a total of five raised beds planted and completely covered with breathable medium grade plant tarps. I still have one last raised bed to plant. So far I've managed to plant tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, strawberries, squash, onions, and a variety of herbs. I hope to be able to plant my corn, potatoes, and watermelon soon. Just can't wait to get them in the ground and growing. 

Since I've been away from the blog, I have stumbled across an awesome little website that just sent happy little tendrils of excitement down my spine. 
The website is www.lehmans.com.
They cater more to the Amish way of living and although I'm not particularly religious myself, I do really admire the way the Amish live. 

The Amish are very simple and though many may think them to be behind the times, they actually have a way of life that has been long forgotten by modern society. With those values and old ways of doing diminishing rapidly our society is slowly crumbling. 

Sean may have kind of thought my cheese had slid way off my cracker this time, but I think he could relate and seemed to even encourage me.

I went and purchased from this website an old time wash board, a gift basket of old school laundry products for the wash board, two beautiful oil lamps, an old style pitcher, a honey pot, broomcorn seed, dragon carrot seeds, an apple peeler and corer, and an old fashion bushel basket. I wanted to get the butter churn aswell and almost did but decided to wait being that I don't have the faintest idea how to make my own butter.... Nor do I have milking cows, or any cows or even goats for that matter. 

Lehmans had everything from wood burning and duel fuel antique replica stoves and refrigerators to farming equipment. Anything you could imagine for a more simpler life they had, even a compost toilet!!!

Yes, I even considered getting a composit toilet briefly..... Until I thought about being anywhere in the vicinity  of the bathroom after Sean had been in there. Sorry to say that alone changed my mind really quick:) 

I must admit though that I do really get into the old ways of living and eventhough I can't love without my cell phone or my computer, I really do wish at times that we could all just go back to the days of horse drawn carriages and the old ways of living. I myself am sometimes guilty of always trying to find an easier way of doing things, but I usually never shy away from hard work especially when it comes to farming and gardening.






3 comments:

  1. Hi Stacie -
    Lehman's really is a nice hardware store :-) They are close to us and we get over there at least once a year. If you ever get to Kidron, Ohio you got to pay them a visit. You won't be sorry. I bought my cook stove from them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get ideas for product from Lehman's but order from another source. It's cheaper. MUCH cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the input, Chris. I'll have to keep that in mind for future purchases. If you have any suggestions as far as where to buy some of the products they offer cheaper please feel free to share :) always looking for bargains:)

      Delete