Monday, May 26, 2014

The Crazy Cat Lady

We've all heard about, or seen first hand, the Crazy Cat lady. She's usually old and unmarried and most often relatively reclusive, but how did she become the Crazy cat lady? I'm sure she started off with one or two cats as pets and couldn't turn away a stray preferring to be in the company of cats rather than the company of man, But is that the whole story or how it even began?

Since we've moved to the farm and inadvertently adopted the neighbors cat Big Ben, we've noticed more and more cats showing up. Tiny was the first to show up after Big Ben. Tiny belongs to the same neighbor as Ben but was the reason Ben preferred to stay at our farm. Tiny had a bad habit of beating Ben up and stealing his food. When tiny shows up we keep her occupied with a very small amount of food so that Ben can eat in peace and don't really give Tiny any kind of attention. We prefer to give Ben all of our affection as he's adopted us as much as we have him. From time to time we've also had a large long haired charcoal tabby with the cutest face a cat has ever possessed. He doesn't ever seem interested in a food hand out and too skittish for any kind of contact. We've also noticed a black and white cat on two occasions in the driveway that never gets closer than 100 feet of the house and seems to only be passing through. There's also the large orange tabby that seems to stay in the back close to the deer trail running at the sight of anyone. As of yesterday, we now have a skittish calico who is small and beautiful. She was looking for the Hand out of food we give Ben. She won't let you get anywhere near her but I did spot her sneaking onto the porch last night looking for anything Ben may have left. Of course if Ben doesn't finish his food we do bring his bowl and food inside, I'm not feeding every cat in the neighborhood after all.

Like I've told Sean, when I'm out in the country I seem to have the ability to attract every animal, domestic or wild, within a 5 mile radius.  I'm not sure why this is but I've been that way my whole life. On the two acre farm I lived on previously we had wild rabbits and raccoons. The wild rabbits would come running toward me from out of the woods as soon as they heard my voice or saw me. they use to stay by feet and eat from my hand whatever grasses I had picked. I really don't mind the cats, but I do miss my rabbits and raccoons.

No comments:

Post a Comment