Monday, May 5, 2014

Redneck grass cutting

As many of you know we do not have a tractor, riding lawn mower, self propelled mower, or a weed eater on the farm as of yet, so the grass is high. I do however have a rake which I use to take down the dead hay like grass before planting. This weekend I discovered redneck grass cutting. Sean's nephew, Jason and his little boy Preston, came over to help with our grass situation yesterday.

As it turned out,in a funny coincidence, when buying the farm before I met Sean, our farm backs right up to his nephews house the only division between us is what the locals call blood river, which is more like a deep drainage canal. 

So let me explain what redneck grass cutting is all about. I'm assuming Most you have heard about tractor supply. Tractor supply stores across the country sell tractor and grass cutting attachment for 4wheelers. These are wonderful if you have a large 4 wheeler that works. Well, the redneck version of these implements consists of a chain link fence gate with a little bit of square hole fencing (similar to large chicken wire, three large tires stacked on top of the gate ,strapped down with ratchet straps, attached to the 4wheeler. Now according to Sean's nephew Jason, and I'm not doubting it one little bit, this will cut most grass. 

However, all we succeeded to do was flatten the tall grass on our farm. Which was just fine by me. Now we can actually see any large sticks that need to be picked up, we can see what's in the grass, and I don't have to get completely itchy from the grass sticking me as I garden. 

Jason had also informed us that when we get all the large sticks up and into a pile he would be more than happy to come over with the riding lawn mower and cut our grass until we can get a tractor of our own or until we can get Sean's riding mower fixed, which ever comes first. 

I am so thankful for all of the rednecks in our family and glad that at least one lives right behind us. Which also brings up another project we need to get started on. We need to build a bridge across the river in the back to Jason's house and make a "safe" trail through the woods so that little Preston, who is ALL boy and very adventurous and sweet, can come over and visit his Uncle Donkey whenever he likes. It would also be a lot more convienet for me and sky to go visit Lindsey, Jason's wife, that way I can just go walk through the woods instead of driving over ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment