Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Illusions or delusions on the farm

Since being on the farm I've come to realize that things aren't always as they seem. For instance, when the neighbors decide that target practice should last all day on Saturday and Sunday, it's hard to pin point a particular direction from where the gun is being shot and how close the shots are to your proximity. This is a very common occurrence in the country that I've been fully aware of for a very long time and it still sets me on edge, not mention, that if you need your target practice to last two full days from sun up to sun set then you're a crappy shot, your aim obviously won't ever improve, and more importantly you're wasting bullets.

What I didn't realize, simply because it's never happened to me before, is that things such as animals are completely misconstrued visually and it doesn't matter whether it's full daylight or dark out. Let's take Big Ben for example, He's a fairly large house cat. We're use to seeing Ben all the time, but every now and then, even if we were just playing with him and he walks off, he can look like a small to medium sized dog even if he's just a few yards away. More recently there has been a large orange tabby slightly larger than Ben, that I'll spot close to the back tree line where we have a large pile of cut pines and a large section of clay that had been spread out. Upon first spotting this cat, she looked to be the height and size of a cougar. Only After going outside and towards her did I clearly see the huge height comparison, of course looking through the camera lens I could tell by her head that she was a regular house cat, hence the reason I walked outside and toward her.

Last night, while trying to figure out what jack was acting up about, I took the flash light out front and swept the area in front and on the sides of the front porch seeing and hearing nothing. So, I go back in and shine the spotlight out of the back window and see what appears to be a small coyote running through the yard to the tree line. Now there's a couple things that told me mentally coyote. Number one, size, number 2, color, and number 3, his tail was straight out and fluffy as he ran. So I grab Sean and out the backdoor we go with spotlight in hand. I trained the spotlight on the tree in front of me seeing the tell tale glow of eyes in the brush underneath the tree. We got closer and the animal never seemed to move but seemed to be frantically looking at us and watching. I decided to go up front and get in the tuck so I could safely get closer to the animal and to better see what it was. As I pulled up Sean, in redneck backwoods fashion, jumped into the bed of my truck training the spotlight on the animal so I could see better. At this point I got out the truck, walked to the tree line only to realize that it was one of the neighbor's (The same neighbor who owns Big Ben)  larger Chihuahua mix. In thinking this poor dog was a small coyote, we apparently scared this poor dog half to death with the spotlight and the truck. The only thing I could imagine going through this poor dog's mind was that he had just stepped into the movie deliverance and that we were probably nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment